It turns out that kite design is more of an empirical process. When I started researching kite design, a typical explanation of the process was “…we go down to our R&D facility in Brasil and try new things out” I usually heard a “dude” in there too. So…I decided to design a new kite and the leading edge seemed like a good place to start. I postulated that there would be a massive low pressure region behind the inflatable leading edge and I set out to prove it. This process involved CFD of a simple 2D model and some wind tunnel testing. After graduation I put the project on hold but I’d love to start it up again sometime!